сряда, 15 юни 2011 г.

Doc Marlowe
by James Thurber


F
ar from being disturbed by the letter, Doc Marlowe was plainly amused. He took off his glasses, after he finished it and laughed, his hand to his brow and his eyes closed. I was pretty mad, because I had liked the Hardmans, and because they had liked him. Doc Marlowe put the letter carefully back into its envelope and tucked it away in his inside coat pocket, as if it were something precious. Then he picked up a pack of cards and began to lay out a solitaire hand. "Want to set in a little seven-up game, Jimmy?" he asked me. I was furious. "Not with a cheater like you!" I shouted, and stamped out of the room, slamming the door. I could hear him chuckling to himself behind me.
      The last time I saw Doc Marlowe was just a few days before he died. I didn't know anything about death, but I knew that he was dying when I saw him. His voice was very faint and his face was drawn; they told me he had a lot of pain. When I got ready to leave the room, he asked me to bring him a tin box that was on his bureau. I got it and handed it to him. He poked around in it for a while with unsteady fingers and finally found what he wanted. He handed it to me. It was a quar­ter, or rather it looked like a quarter, but it had heads on both sides. "Never let the other fella call the turn, Jimmy, my boy," said Doc, with a shadow of his old twinkle and the echo of his old chuckle. I still happen to have the two-headed quarter. For a long time I didn't like to think about it, or about Doc Marlowe, but I do now.


Notes and exercises:

1.   The prefixes “de–” and “di–” are often mistake. Learn the spelling of the following words:

decide
decay
deceased
despise
divert
decision
derision
derive
detraction
description
destruction
divest
denote
demean
desire
destroy
dimension
diverge
demand
devote
despair
design
divide
divorce
delay
devotion
describe
destructive
diminish
dilute

2.   Fill in the blanks with “e” or “I”:

d_code
d_stress
d_pend
d_lute
d_livery
d_shevelled
d_lude
d_duce
d_stinct
d_sdain
d_sguise
d_sservice
d_vour
d_tain
d_canter
d_ssipate
d_clare
d_scussion
d_scern
d_vorcee
d_ceit
d_signate
d_triment
d_licious
d_note
d_sciple
d_lay
d_spute
d_mension
d_fence

3.   Insert “e” or “I” in the following phrases:

d_cided d_fference
d_ciduous trees
a d_cisive battle
d_clining years
a d_crepit horse
national d_fence
d_ficient in courage
clearly d_fined boundaries
to d_flate a tyre
a d_liberate lie
a telephone d_rectory
to d_ssemble one’s emotions
d_licious smell
without d_mur
a d_mure young lady
rock d_nuded of soil
d_serted streets
d_ssert spoon
d_sultory reading
a nuclear d_vice
a d_ligent student
to obtain a d_vorce
a d_bilitating climate


4.   Give the plural forms of the following nouns and read them:

bureau
adieu
tableau
plateau
chateau
beau
trousseau
portmanteau

5.   Word study:
solitaire      a card game for one player (also called patience)
a quarter    US 25¢ (Look up a nickel, a dime, a quarter, a half dollar!)
head(s)       that side of a coin on which the head of a person appears, the other side being “tails,” or “the tail”: Heads or tails?—Heads—I win.” (said when tossing a coin up in the air to decide something by chance)
glasses      (pl. tantum)—spectacles; glass (sg.)—a hard brittle transparent substance. Here are some kinds of glass: pebble glass, lead glass, frosted glass, green glass, wired/armoured glass, window/sheet glass, stained/coloured glass
6.   Translate the following expressions and use them in sentences of your own:
The Olympic games, he plays a good game at cards, to play the game, to have the game in one’s hands, to be off one’s game, the game is 15 to 30, a draw game, game all, to make game of, to speak in game, what game!, none of your little games, nix on that game!, his game is up, to play a winning/losing game, the game is not worth the candle

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар

Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Nawthorne

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/english/f1124y-001/resources/Young_Goodman_Brown.pdf